Average Day of an Illustrator - My Theory
9am - 6am
- Formulate list of priorities for the day/week
- Consult brief and continue with current projects, from research to drawing.
- Do any updating to wesites, social medias, blogs etc; unless you have utilised the scheduled update function on some blogs and social medias
- Check emails, all social medias for opportunities, requests
- Hunt for inspiration, especially when things aren't running as smoothly as you'd like. Browse art at galleries, take photos of the world/draw the world, or pop online and check out appropriate art and artists. However, sometimes even the inappropriate ones can inspire and educate you.
"Only about 40% of my time will actually be spent creating art. The rest will be in promotion, updating, exposure and communication. (And other things like tax returns etc)" - paraphrased from Georgie Hounsome, but appropriate nonetheless.
When Freelancing is less, it's time to search around. Look for opportunities through competitions or things like Craigslist - people request for artists a lot. It'll help with exposure and funds. (Any illustrator job, as long as you're credited, is exposure)
"Possibly set aside a full day for admin. Social medias, updating portfolio, communications, clientèle" - paraphrased from Georgie Hounsome again. This would be especially useful in conjunction with the scheduled post function. You could set out the posts for the entire week.
As a freelancer, you are a "Soul Trader". Taxed only after £10,000. If I intend on becoming a freelancer (which I of course would like to), once I finish uni I should register as a soul trader immediately. Must look into and ask more about this. Good place to start would be Georgie since she's a current example, also visit cons and expos where there will be appropriate artists to talk to there (likely selling their work, so I'll find something I like, buy it and also interview them briefly.)